Special thanks to Chloe Liese for providing an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!
Goodreads: Everything for You (Bergman Brothers #5)
Publication date: 10 May 2022
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Gear up for an all-the-feels, steamy slow-burn in this enemies-to-lovers sports romance about fighting for love when life’s taught you it’s a losing game.
We’ve been teammates for two years, but it feels like a lifetime that Oliver Bergman’s been on my last nerve. A demanding captain and veteran player, I’m feared and friendless, while he’s the beloved rising star, all sunshine smiles and upbeat team spirit. To make matters worse, he’s obscenely attractive. In short: he’s genetically designed to get under my skin. Avoiding Oliver has been my survival tactic on and off the field. But when Coach drops the bomb that we’re now co-captains, avoiding him becomes impossible, and keeping the truth from him–let alone my distance–is harder than ever.
Life was great until soccer legend Gavin Hayes joined the team and proved he’s nothing like the guy I grew up idolizing. Instead, he’s a giant–albeit gorgeous–grump who lives to rain on my parade. I’ve sworn off pranks since entering the public eye, so rather than settle our differences the Bergman way, I’ve had to settle for killing Gavin with kindness. There’s just one problem: killing him with kindness is killing me. To make matters worse, Coach gives us an ultimatum: put an end to our enmity or say goodbye to being captains. I’m prepared to be miserable while we meet her demands and make nice, but the last thing I expect is to discover an explosive attraction we can’t help but act on, and worse yet, to realize the man hiding beneath Gavin’s gruff exterior is all I’ve ever wanted.
‘EVERYTHING FOR YOU’ IS OUT TOMORROW SO…
TL;DR: Everything for You is a swoontastic heartwarming romance between a sunshine all-star and the grump who steals his heart. Chloe Liese never fails to serve a sweet inclusive romance with relatable characters that you can tell are written so much heart and as much care as possible. This romance managed to make me laugh, cry and swoon and filled my heart up with so much happiness and hope. I loved Oliver and Gavin and was so happy that they got their well-earned HEA. The Bergman Brothers series continues to be so delightful and I absolutely cannot wait for whoever’s story is next—I hope it’s Viggo cos I can’t wait to see him fall hard!
I’ve loved every book in the Bergman Brothers series so it’s no surprise that I loved Everything for You, too! To say that I’m invested in the Bergman family/siblings would be an understatement and Oliver’s story was everything that I didn’t know I wanted for him (and Gavin too, of course). I finished this book with a happy heart shedding a few happy tears and feeling comforted and hopeful. I apologise in advance if this review is all over the show cos all I want to do is scream how much my heart is so full and how incredibly satisfied I am with their HEA and PLS READ THIS BOOK!!! But I’m gonna try to make it all make sense with hopefully a few coherent sentences. 😂
- All the tropes this book served were *chefs kiss*! Enemies to lovers, grumpy/sunshine, just one bed (which gave ALL the steamy/angsty ‘oh shit, it wasn’t a dream’ energy), ‘let me take care of you’, ‘I will fight with everything I have for you’… Literally had me melting, friends. MELTING!
- Meddling friends and family. Oh, how I loved all the meddlers in this book! We have Gavin’s geriatric poker buddies who brought the karaoke, mocktail cocktail hangover shenanigans. We have Coach who is secretly a meddler with her “play nice as co-captains or else” threats. And then of course, there’s the whole Bergman family but mostly cheeky Viggo. I absolutely cannot wait for Viggo’s story because that man is going to get is so bad and it is gonna be so amazing! Seriously, I was cackling so hard at so many points during this story, I can’t stress enough how much of a good time I had reading it!
- Oliver was such an easy character to love. He is a literal ray of freaking sunshine. His never-ending positivity and penchant for humming and singing Hamilton and Encanto tunes were absolutely infectious! He’s consistently there for others and is always ready to spread optimism and self-love, except when it comes to himself. He hides his anxiety behind big smiles and I honestly related so much to Oliver for so many reasons (not just the LMM love and appreciation)!
- I was a little worried about my feelings toward Gavin at the beginning. He was *a lot* of grump to handle but the more we learned about him the more I hurt for him and I just wanted to give Gavin a big ass hug and never let go. Gavin buries his emotions deep and he carries a surprising amount of fear but I absolutely understood why. He also lives with chronic pain and it honestly blows my mind how he was able to continue playing at the professional level with how much he suffered (I did have to suspend my disbelief a little)!
- “Same same but different.” Despite the contrast to their personalities, Oliver and Gavin actually have so much in common. The way they hide their true selves behind masks they project to protect themselves, the way they don’t love by half-measures, they way they love hard on the people in their lives that they care so much about. They’re both a little lonely and unbelieving of the fact that they are good enough and deserve love. I loved the way they worked through their issues and this is one of those rare times when I think the third act “breakup” made sense for their relationship succeeding. When they finally allow themselves to look past their differences, their chemistry was absolutely EXPLOSIVE! Holy wow, at points I wasn’t sure whether they’d beat or eat each other up! 🥵 I would say that their romance is a bit of a slow burn and there were many “that was so close” moments that had me holding my breath but let me tell you, the pay off when they finally finally get together is so freaking worth it. Like, wow. So much chemistry. So much fire. So very steamy!
- The Bergman family. This family wins every time. I couldn’t imagine a more wonderful family to be accepted into. This story takes place several years after the end of the previous book and so much has happened including mini Bergmans! Linnie is such an absolute delight and total firecracker! I absolutely adored her enthusiasm for everything and the way she manages to wrap Gavin around her little finger had me in giggles!
- More Bergman family. Specifically, I was a bit sad that we didn’t get more Viggo time because of how close he is with Oliver, although that didn’t mean I did love what we got of him. I’m just greedy and kinda always want more of this family?
- The sporting aspect and team dynamics. The story actually starts with a great team scene that had me grinning foolishly and we do get bits and pieces of team interactions but it’s not like typical sports romance levels of interactions. I guess you will also have to suspend your disbelief a bit at how little sporting actually takes place; save for the few games that play a big role in their character growth and their changing relationship dynamic, they don’t really spend much time practicing or doing sporting things. I didn’t mind but if you’re looking for a heavy sports romance, this isn’t it.
Have you read the Bergman Brothers series or is it on your TBR?
Are you excited for Oliver’s story in Everything for You?