The last time I wrote a monthly wrap up was all the way back in March so I’m not gonna lie, I’m feeling kinda overwhelmed at the thought of making one now? Plus, although the last time I shared a ‘bigger’ life update was months ago, not a whole lot has really happened since. I guess I can share some highlights:
- I went on a mini break (which extended to a several months) at the end of April
- I turned a year older in May — 🎵 I don’t know about you but I’m feeling
- I took a short trip to Bali for a funeral and a birthday in June
- I got fully vaccinated at the end of July — yay!
- We’ve been in semi-lockdown for almost three months as Indonesia’s COVID cases soared to a terrifying 50k+ daily cases towards the end of June. The situation has gotten better now and things are slowly opening up again…
- I’ve done a lot of baking and managed to make soft pretzels and cinnamon rolls for the first time!
- I’ve been doing quite a few paint-by-numbers kits and I even started doing drill diamond paintings but I still have yet to finish one 😂
I made “my comeback” to blogging in early August and it has been so good to be back! I don’t think I realised how much I missed blogging until I started again but the long break I took was something I really needed so I don’t regret it—I just missed this community!
This month I ended up reading 18 books and a lot of them were novellas, which is quite surprising as I’ve always struggled to enjoy novellas! I’ve found new novella favourites though, but the top spot goes to Sing Anyway, an adorable queer romance that had my heart singing!
Another surprise is the fact that I don’t have a 5-star read this month! I don’t know if it’s just my mood being a bit wonky but that doesn’t mean I haven’t read some great books! I think my favourite was The Will Darling Adventures and I feel like I’ve gushed a lot about this series already but… just in case you (somehow) missed it: this is a trilogy set in the Golden Era (1920s) and it’s a mystery and MM romance with amazing characters (including the supporting ones), a murderous criminal gang, infuriating aristocracy, and deliciously steamy romance! I would definitely recommend checking it out, plus at roughly 250 pages per book they’re the perfect reading length! The majority of my reads this month fell in the ‘4 pandas’ range so I’m really not too mad about it. I had hoped to read a few more ARCs than I did but towards the end of August I started to stray from that goal (as usual 🥲) but I did tackle more than I thought I would so that at least is good. Hopefully I’ll continue making steady progress on my ARCs as the year progresses.
Book covers are linked to Goodreads and the title text is linked to my reviews, if available!
Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
I Think I Might Love You (Love Sisters #1)
(ARC) Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost #1)
(ARC) The Meeting Point
So… I thought I had bookmarked some posts that I read in the last month but apparently I didn’t or if I did, I don’t know where they are because I searched and couldn’t find them 🥲 I remembered a few off the top of my head so this is gonna be a very smol list of some community faves! There are so many great posts out in the blogosphere and I’m sure I miss so many with my sporadic blog hopping so let me know what some of your favourites have been lately as I’d love to check them out!
- J @ Midnight Book Blog – Discussion Post: Everything I Hate (and Love) About Goodreads
- Malka @ Paper Procrastinators – What Makes Us Love Tropes
- Charvi @ Not Just Fiction – My Sister Blurbs Books Based On Their Covers
- Beth @ Books Nest – Women in Translation: Book Recommendations and TBR
- Adira @ Introvert Interrupted – Unhauling Books: Letting Go of The Reader I Used To Be
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books – 10 YA Books Without Romance
- Katja @ Life and Other Disasters – Are Chris Evans and I Compatible Readers?
- Evelyn @ Evelyn Ding – Why Don’t Teens Read YA Anymore?
And that’s a wrap on August! Sorry if this book was a bit lengthy and rambling (what’s new though really lol)! What are your reading/blogging plans in September? Hope you’re all doing well and staying safe/healthy, friends ❤️