Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme created by Rukky @Eternity Books and hosted by Aria @Book Nook Bits, and it’s where we get to discuss certain topics, share our opinions, and spread the love by visiting each other’s posts! If you want to join in the bookish discussion fun, check out the July 2022 prompts!
Now without further ado… The topic asks us about:
What’s your favourite reading format? Hardback, paperback, audiobook, ebook?
(SUGGESTED BY MIKAELA @ MIKAELA READS)
Prompts: What’s your favourite reading format? Hardback? Paperback? Audiobook? Ebook? What makes you prefer one over the other? Which do you read the most? What are the pros and cons of these different formats?
my favourite READING format
If you’d have asked me this question a couple of years ago, I would’ve probably said hardback or paperback because I’ve always loved holding a physical book in hand while reading but I think this has gradually changed over time. Also, I struggle a lot with audiobooks and while I tend to speed through them, it highly depends on the audiobook and my listening environment, so for me personally they’re not even a contender for favourite. 😂
These days, the ebook has become my favourite format simply because I tend to mostly read ebooks, especially since I started reading more ARCs and participating in blog tours.
FORMAT PROS AND CONS
- Beautiful to look at and look so good on my shelves!
- Satisfying as heck to annotate—I’m a sucker for sticky tabs and occasionally even writing and highlighting in my book.
- Who doesn’t love that good ol’ book smell? I love it!
- They take up a lot of space and I’m sorta running out of shelf space.
- These baddies are heavy, especially the hardbacks and it hurts when they fall on my face if it slips or I fall asleep reading.
- They’re not easy to lug around with me when I go places, like on vacation or move to a new country for a couple of months.
ebooks (Kindle perspective)
- Thousands of books on the go—what’s not to love?!
- It’s easy for me to search for something in the book whether it’s a character, location, certain event, etc.
- Notes and highlights made in my book are easy to access and are easy to link to my Goodreads!
- I can access my ebooks through multiple platforms (phone, laptop) so even if I don’t have my Kindle device on me, I can still read my books!
- I don’t get that book smell and feel—especially if it’s a brand new book!
- Too many books to choose from at any given time? 😂
- Audiobooks can be great immersive experiences especially if it’s a full-cast production which is my favourite kind!
- I can read anywhere and everywhere while doing anything (mostly-ish).
- It’s also accessible through multiple platforms (phone, laptop, even my Oasis)!
- Personally, it requires more of my attention to listen to an audiobook than it does for me to read a book.
- It’s hard to find audiobooks that do a great job of grabbing and retaining my focus!
- Unengaging narrators 😕
With all the pros/cons listed above, it’s pretty clear that I favour ebooks. Aside from the digital ARCs and blog tour books that I receive digitally, I tend to travel a fair bit (especially when I had a job) so ebooks simply became more convenient for me. Honestly, I just love having so many ebooks to choose from no matter what mood strikes me, being able to read anywhere/everywhere even if I don’t bring my Kindle with me, how easy it is for me to keep track of when I start reading an ebook, and keeping my notes & highlights all in one place (Goodreads).
I still like to pick up a physical book every now and then to shake things up (and to make my way through my existing backlog), ebooks have definitely become my favourite reading format!
What about you, friends? What’s your favourite format to read? What makes you pick one format over another? Do you want to read more of one format?